The Waterfall Creek Bushland Reserve
Bushland walks beckon
Rosebud Park Recreation Reserve has several bushland areas and all are managed by Rosebud Park and Recreation Reserve Committee of Management.
Waterfall Creek Bushland Reserve – Enter from Rosebud Avenue/Elizabeth Drive or via the 4th fairway of the Golf Course, Rosebud Avenue or from the Rosebud Tennis Club. Entering the Herman Street Crossing you have a choice of direction to begin your escape into this remnant and significant bushland of Rosebud. It is a short walk about 1 kilometre and can be walked all seasons and is highly recommended. The tracks are maintained by staff of Rosebud Park Golf Course and volunteers meet regularly to contain weed populations. Melbourne Water has funded restoration work along the creek line for 10 years enabling substantial attacks on invasive weed species, such as Boneseed, Blackberries and Pittosporum. Restoration and regeneration has been the result without re planting of species.
Majestic Manna Gums dominate the canopy while understorey has many beautiful seasonal surprises. The track is well defined and twists and turns through Waterfall Creek’s natural thicket of Ferns, Pomaderris with its wrinkly leaves, and Melaleuca. This bushland has many Grass trees, Xanthorrhoea australis, remaining these could be as old as 600 years but they have not been officially dated. Many small birds can be identified, in particular, Fan Tails, Honeyeaters, Wrens and the endangered Lewin’s Rail. Echidnas are often seen while Wallaby might be a sudden rustle and a shadow of grey in the bush. Koalas are occasionally feeding in the large Manna gums. Brochures in the boxes at the beginning/end of the walk will tell you more and there is much more.
Treat yourself to a visit to quiet stroll in “old Rosebud”, enjoy the peace and tranquillity and reflect on how the landscape has changed with extensive urban development.
Fantails will often accompany walkers along the walking track, but this one has more pressing matters.
The ever popular Two Bays Walk can incorporate a visit to Rosebud Park via the Cook Street Spur and into the 14th Fairway of the Golf Course. Waterfall Creek Bushland on the western edge of Rosebud Park makes an interesting variation, returning to Two Bays walk and McLarens Dam via the Golf Course and Elizabeth Drive.
Hove Road East
Hove Road East Bushland has a diversity of local flora and fauna. Tracks are not formally made, but there is access from the 13th hole to Hove Road, this steep incline reconnects with the fire trail to the main track to either Kings Falls or McLarens Dam, and the Two Bays Walk that takes you from Arthurs Seat State Park to Cape Schanck in the Nepean State Park. Alternatively an enjoyable walk can be taken to Waterfall Creek Bushland to the west or south directly picking up the track that runs to the 18th fairway where refreshments can be enjoyed at the Clubhouse. Barbeque and picnic facilities are available in the lower parking area.
To continue to McLarens Dam from the Clubhouse proceed to Elizabeth Drive and turn eastwards to the Arthurs Seat State Park, through the stile and the remainder of the Two Bays Walk is ahead of you. Alternatively head east (up the hill!) then follow the signs to Kings Falls which is another gem to visit.
If you enjoy the outdoors and meeting with like minded people concerned about the environment then think about helping out in the bushlands of Rosebud Park. Call Elaine 0359 862226
2002 Friends group formed to regularly attend working parties
Chisholm Institute of Tafe students and SPIFFA members help out after the burn of 2007
Burn in 2007 reduced fuel load and increased biodiversity with local plants such as Banksia relying on fire to promote growth.
Remnant pines removed in 2013.
Waterfall Creek floods in heavy rain events
Photo source: Elaine Bertotto
Text: Elaine Bertotto
Dogs welcome on leads, please clean up after your pets.
Motor bikes and mountain bike riding is prohibited on the Rosebud Park golf course and bushlands of Rosebud Park.
A small bike track for junior riders has been used for some years on the corner of Rosebud Avenue and Hove Road. The track is currently under re construction in consultation with families and the general public in the area.
First records of the area now known as Rosebud Park and Recreation Reserve go back to 1884 when it was a parcel of grazing land administered by the Victorian Lands Department. A farmer Elizabeth James obtained a lease for 100 acres paying £7.11.6d. for one year. Elizabeth fell behind with payment and lost the right to graze when William Hobley a farmer from Leongatha took up the lease in 1888 and held the lease until his death in 1922. Records of the time indicate his difficulty in making a decent living on the site, in fact he had to return to Gippsland at times to earn enough to live on.
The land rested then until 1926 when Robert Poole, the District Surveyor observed that the area was ‘overgrown with a rank and dense growth of poor scrub, honeysuckle, spear grass, heath, peppermint and grass trees’. He noted that the most westerly point was a swamp with dense vegetation. Poole suggested that the area should be kept as “Departmental Reserve” and that ‘small sums of money be spent to keep it free of rabbits and vermin until other means for using the area are found.
158 Acres was declared as permanent reserve for public park and recreation on 16th November 1927 at the request of Mr J C Hewitt secretary of the Progress Association of Rosebud. The area of land previously known as 31B-32E was gazetted on 15th March 1930 as Rosebud Park and was under the control of the Flinders Shire Council as a Committee of Management.
In 1939 Mr Strickland then Secretary of the Shire of Flinders was keen to secure the park for the construction of a golf course with £4,500.00. Nine holes would be constructed first then a further 9 holes. The plan was to maintain the natural state of the park with only clearing for fairways.
It was not until 1952 however that the “Grand Scheme” for the park was to take that tangible step forward with golf links, tennis courts, play ground and picnic sites becoming a reality for Rosebud.
In 1952 the Rosebud Golf Club and the Committee of Management, ie the then Shire of Flinders, spending £1,500 on machinery began clearing to begin work on a golf course layout designed by Mr Morcom of Kingston Heath Golf Course.
Within the reserve of 158 acres there was provision for a cemetery. Seven acres was excised in 1926 for burial purposes however plans for a cemetery were abandoned in 1951 when it was deemed that the land, currently occupied by the Rosebud Tennis Club, was too small to accommodate all denominations. The area was too low lying, and besides, the need for a cemetery was not a pressing one for Rosebud with only 4 burials required by the Rosebud population in the twelve months prior to that.
The western part of the reserve bordered by Elizabeth Avenue, Rosebud Avenue and now Hove Road was to become Plantation Reserve when the Rosebud Primary School established the rights for a plantation of Pinus radiata on 7 acres which was excised in 1952. Mature trees were harvested in the 1980’s and the remainder felled in 2013.
The tunnel for the Gunnamatta outfall was constructed in the early 1970’s through Waterfall Creek Bushland Reserve. The Golf Course tapped into the recycled water in February 1976 becoming the first course in Victoria to use recycled sewerage water.